Thursday, September 25, 2014

CARPE DIEM AND HORSEFLIES: Recognize Teaching Moments and Embrace Them!

Just recently I took into training a small but gifted young horse. Because of his size, his owner would like to see him eventually leased to a 4-H’er or some other young rider.  He’s pretty spooky right now so I take him through one or two bomb-proofing exercises each time I work with him.  One of our sessions was on a very hot day, so I cooled him down with the hose afterward. Right about the time I was finishing up, a giant horsefly came zipping in. The horse started bucking like mad. “Oh no,” my client yelled. “Quick, get him into the barn!”

“What," I asked? "And waste this perfect opportunity?” I had to smile, though, because I knew where she was coming from.  It is human nature to want to shelter horses from things that upset them.  We think we’re being compassionate… doing them a favor. But we’re really not. Teaching moments don’t come when horses are standing around behaving calmly. They come when horses are freaking out about stuff. We must embrace those moments because they are our opportunities to help our horses grow emotionally, and to help ourselves develop better horse-handling skills.

I did not run the horse back into the barn. I reprimanded his bucking and got it under control.  I knew the horsefly was not going to kill him, so I got him to stand still long enough for me to kill the fly. The poor little guy was shaking like a leaf, but that’s okay. The next time a horsefly comes around we will do it all over again, and he will shake less.  Soon this young horse will be mentally mature enough to behave calmly when horseflies are near… at which point he will be much safer for a young rider to handle.

Growth for both you and your horse comes from facing challenges… not trying to avoid them.  Horses don’t want to go through life afraid of stuff.  So when your horse starts freaking out about something, don’t let it freak you out.  SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY to help your horse become more confident in his surroundings, in himself, and in you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts!