Monday, April 20, 2015

DENIAL AND THE ART OF DRIVING OURSELVES BATTY

Over the past year, my student, Julie, has made huge strides in developing a tight, trusting bond with her horse. But there is still a kink to iron out, and it became apparent during a recent lesson.

Since it was a balmy sixty-some degree day here in Michigan, Julie was riding outside. As we were wrapping up, she looked over toward the barn where the big door to the indoor arena was drawn wide open to let in the fresh air. Now, despite her horse performing calmly and cooperatively for the entire lesson, she said, “Here’s one of the things that still bothers me about Jagger. He has been so good all morning, but I know if I rode him into the indoor right now he would get all antsy going through the door.”

“Why would you say that?” I asked, incredulously, knowing that just by thinking the thought she is once again forcing that door to be her nemesis. It’s been an ongoing issue for awhile.

“Because he would,” she insisted.  “I mean, he probably won’t bolt like he used to, but he will pop his head up and look around. He does it every single time we get near that door… like he’s waiting for something to jump out at him. It drives me crazy.”

Since it is the instructor’s challenge to offer words of wisdom to help students get past issues, I imparted this amazing piece of brilliance with all the eloquence of a five-year old.   “Oh my gosh, your horse is over the door, Julie! Over, over, OVER the door!”

I’m betting I even stomped my feet. I’m not sure. I did, however, stop short of throwing myself face-down on the ground.

Suddenly, in the midst of my fit, I was struck with inspiration.  “Listen, we all find it easy to believe it’s the horse and not us, but it’s never true. Horses let go of things almost immediately. On their own, they just don’t keep spooking at the same things over and over again. If Jagger had to walk through that door every day with other horses, do you honestly think he, or any of them, would act spooky about it every single time?  Day… after day… after day?”

“No, I actually don’t,” she answered. “I could see them being a little cautious the first time, but after that they would probably be just fine.  Wow, it really is me, isn’t it?”

Why is it so hard for us riders to come to grips with the fact that we cause horses to display all kinds of behaviors we don’t want? Are we that blind, that stubborn, or that unwilling to accept responsibility? I don’t think so, not at all. I think it’s because it is hard for us to fathom that we are that powerful… that we, as mere humans, can cause horses to do things simply with our thoughts.  But we can and we do all the time.

Julie’s horse was done and over with finding that door scary ages ago.  But the only way Julie will see that is if she lets go of seeing the door as a problem for once and for all.  How does she go about doing that?  Focus. Harness the power of the mind. Use it for good, not for evil.

“Let’s see what happens,” I suggested, “if you ride into the indoor thinking about exactly what you want. Say it out loud, calmly and clearly, and just keep saying it as you go.”

So, off Julie went speaking the words, “Jagger will walk calmly into the indoor.” And, sure enough, Jagger walked calmly into the indoor.  Tada!

Focus on a problem and the problem will always be there to focus upon.  Sometimes I think we have to drive ourselves completely batty to even contemplate the thought of getting out of the habit. Funny how that’s when solutions seem to flow right to us when we’re working with our horses…and, well… apparently with students, too.  Thanks for the lesson, Jules!
___________________________________________________

To get a better understanding of how your behavior affects your horse's, order The ALPHA Equestrian Challenge today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts!